If I Could Turn Back Time


If I could turn back time? That is a powerful statement that goes through our minds at least once per week or maybe even more often. If I could only take back what I said to my friend, my spouse, my co-worker. If only I had not done what I did my life would be better. If I had not hurt that person their life would not have turned out the way it did. If I could just go back and do it all over again it would be different the next time.

The truth here is obvious none of us can turn back the clock in the physical realm in which we live. However I do believe the grace of God can turn back the clock for us and give us the ability to right some wrongs and mend broken relationships.

I have a friend that told me on more than one occasion that she prayed that God would change the universe for me. I honestly believe that she meant the prayer she prayed. I share that to say that we can start with merely praying for God to change the universe for us as well as those we have trespassed against.

I often wonder how many people feel as though they have blown every opportunity that has come along in their lives. To some extent we could all say that we have missed those opportunities but did we really? God paved the road of which we traverse and it has street signs placed along the way for guidance. Sure we may have taken a wrong turn, ran a red light, or even went to fast, but guess what, God’s road brought you right here. You are in the right spot to go the rest of the way. The road coming in may have been clouded but the road ahead is clear. God is gracious enough to give us hindsight in order that we may have foresight.

Can God turn back time? Let me share a passage from Joel 2:25 that goes like this “then I will make up to you for the years that the swarming locust have eaten”. That tells me that God is fully able and willing to turn back time for you. Whether you were eaten by locust or you were the locust eating away at the heart of others the time for healing is now. You have arrived in the spot of the Lord and the way forward is better than the way back.

In closing I would like to share a brief story that I think will give you some strength to believe in God’s awesome grace. I once felt betrayed by a friend that greatly offended me. The betrayal kept eating at me until one day I felt as though God was telling me to forgive this person unconditionally. I finally got the courage up and made my peace with this person. Since that time I have seen the power of God work miracles in me and my friend. I have also been able to see the betrayal that I have done to others. We all need forgiveness and please believe that some of God’s greatest works lies inside the people that were once the greatest of sinners. Be slow to judge and quick to love and forgive.

Do not stay in the past of your life, remember you have arrived, and today starts the greatest journey you will face. You can write the next chapter and chose the way you want it to end. A hint, please include the love of God, neighbor, and self, and trust that God can and will give back the years the locust have eaten.

peace to you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts