Dixie

The fear of loss is one of the greatest motivators known to mankind. Depending on the level or degree of fear sometimes that motivation can literally bring us to our knees. I heard from a friend yesterday that shared with me that her aged dog Dixie was sick. I could tell by the look in her eyes and tone of her voice that this was a serious situation. The fear of losing the companion that has stuck by her though thick and thin was taking its toll. 


At times the unspoken words are much louder than the spoken. As my friend departed and I reflected back on her emotion towards her best pal Dixie I allowed my mind to sink into the life the two of them had probably shared.


When times were tough I am confident Dixie listened intently while my friend poured out her heart. Not only did Dixie listen she did not judge or condemn based on what she was hearing. Dixie loved her master no matter what. I bet the two of them have shared meals together and walks together and at no time was there ever a threat that Dixie would leave her side. She has always displayed the love and loyalty we all dream of.


I see in magazines and facebook wonderful quotes about true friendship. How a TRUE friend would never do this or that, or how you can tell a true friend by how they treat you when times are tough. One thing I know for sure about Dixie is that she treats her master the same every day all the time. She loves her unconditionally. Even when her master has lashed out in anger (if she ever did) towards her Dixie still loved her.
Oh how the soldiers mocked him and the Pharisees abused him yet he still loved them. When they beat him he told the others to forgive that they knew not what they were doing. When his very own turned away he loved them so much he accepted them back. No matter how bad Jesus was treated he knew that his role in the world was to love the people by his actions. Consider how a simple family pet can display this same unconditional love.


We fear no loss when we are not faced with it. We can be tough as nails and poke our chest out. We never remember or even think about what someone or much less a lowly pet feels like when we walk over or ignore them. However the unconditional display of love that Christ showed those that did that to him comes out clearly in beautiful dog like Dixie.


I have no idea the true relationship my friend and Dixie have but I think I can say that there is plenty of love both ways. Dixie has always been there through the good and the bad. She has been the rock that my friend needed when life was uncertain. Dixie may be getting old however her place in that home is certain. It was feared that she would be losing Dixie and without a doubt someday she will. This fear she faced in Dixie's sickness has kept her focused on the reality of what the two of them have shared. Dixie forever holds a place in her heart.


You wonder why God created pets for us humans? I think it is crystal clear. We need to be loved  and yearn to be accepted. God knew that as humans we did not have the ability to do that however he did instill in a dog yes a dog the actions that Jesus himself displayed while dying on the cross. Dixie will go to her grave someday having never turned her back on her master. Jesus went to his kingdom and never turned his back on his.


I pray that Dixie will have many more years to soften hearts and mend fences. It is my hope that the love Dixie and my friend have for each other will showcase itself in ways yet to be seen.


Is a dog man's best friend? Only you can decide that however I can say that one of the best displays of love is the one a dog has for her master. We love you Dixie not only for who and what you are but for what you do and that is show us that unconditional love really does exist.


I love the song "If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie I don't want to go". My bet is the love Dixie shows is heaven sent.




peace to you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts