The Wounded

This morning I was looking at a beautiful painting of an old house, barn, and serene landscape. It was so peaceful that if you just meditated you could place yourself right smack in the middle of the setting. The colors in the painting are faded however you can still feel the warmth the artist was trying to portray as he brushed his mental image onto the canvas. It was a time long ago that most likely gave him (the artist) an escape from the drudgery that he faced. I will tell this unknown artist that his work is still creating a place where I can play hide and seek an imagine playing in the barn or simply sitting and appreciating the beauty while looking out the window of the old home place.
Isn't it great the respite our minds can get by looking at a painting? Heck I can even get that same feel while driving down the interstate and allowing my mind to search the tree lines. I am not the person that enjoys working with flowers or working in the garden however for many people that same relaxation and escape comes from those outdoor task.
This morning I woke up with a blister on my foot from a new pair of shoes. My intentions were to hit the gym early and get my 1.5 hours of stairmaster in but that was not to happen once I realized how sore it was just to walk. Now that I sit in front of my computer writing this blog I can believe that this was meant to be. Above my bed is the painting I referred to and as I lay there I began to think about a friend that is struggling to keep life between the ditches. So instead of just laying around with a hurt foot I get up and write about a person with a wounded heart.
Where did it all begin? Was it a simple misunderstanding that got out of hand? Whatever it was it left her a member of the walking wounded that have no place to lay their head. This wound is not physical and not something that most people would even notice. This wound is much deeper and much worse than any physical cut, scrap, or injury could ever inflict. This wound is caused by the indifference of the support network she thought she could rely on when the wrinkles in life could not be ironed out. Instead what happened was the people that she was surrounded by one by one found the excuse to slowly back away. In the end the ointment of friends left a burn that went through to the soul.
Now many years of past, many bridges crossed, the wound has been covered by the toils of life. However the heart of an artist and the soul of the song writer bleeds out in the work we see and read yet the healing of the person has been replaced by a passion with no warmth.
As you make your way through the day be mindful of the wounds you have inflicted as well as the wounds that have been inflicted on you. We can't unsay anything and we can't change our actions of yesterday however with the Grace of God we can sooth the burn and ease the pain by being the person we desire to be. With a kind heart and warm smile the wounds of life will begin to heal. We can be the salve that heals the heart by being the person that allows love to work instead of hate.
Take a moment to escape and enjoy the imagination of the way life was meant to be and let's pray together that when you (we) come back to reality that we are surrounded by friends that will help us make life the way it can be. Leave yesterday behind and move to the future because that my friends is where you will spend the rest of your life. Let the fresh air in and let's do our part to allow our wounds to heal and to heal the emotional pain of others. We can do this so let's get going.
peace to you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts