The Moment Time Stood Still

It was rather cool outside on that breezy October afternoon. Not sure what made the sun and clouds seem so tranquil. Maybe it was the color combination or simply the late afternoon sunset. Either way it seemed as though God's hand was at work. I have no idea why it all happened but in hindsight it was one of those God winks that alters your life forever. 

The man truly seemed like he came out of nowhere when he collapsed in front of us. One moment we were enjoying the walk next you see the frantic look as people search the small crowd for anyone with medical knowledge. The young man that stepped forward went to work with the grace of a skilled master physician. After what seemed like hours, actually it was more like two or three minutes, with tears in his eyes the young medical student was ready to give up. Out of the crowd came this elderly man and with amazing precision and gentle authority said "let's allow the creator to work". So the small crowd, me included, gathered around and listened earnestly with hands joined as this man softly reached out to God in heaven. The young medical student for whatever reason knelt down and  tried one more time. The combination of prayer, medical attention, and the gathering of God's people the man started showing signs of life. 

Once the ambulance came and everyone started walking away in awe of what just happened, I was still in a trance not believing what I just witnessed. The power of God's people allowed the work of human hands and the faith to believe save a man right in front of us. I recall that day over 30 years ago often in my mind. I do not know what became of the man that collapsed, or the medical student, nor the angel that gathered us in prayer. What I do know is that something special happened that day.

The reason I write about this now is because there is more to that God wink than just the incident. You see I was struggling with life decisions that day. I was facing temptations that if allowed would have had a terrible outcome. Money was short, bills were piled up, and my faith had run dry. I had lost my belief that God heard prayers or cared enough to guide me to safer waters. 

Just like the movie "It's A Wonderful Life", the person saved that day was not the man lying on the ground it was the people watching like me. I am confident that God gathered us all there to witness his amazing love and I also no doubt believe that as time stood still the hearts of many were changed forever. 

The person God is trying to get to is not always the victim of some accident or illness, it may be you that he seeks. Be mindful of those God winks that surround your day and remember time stood still for us that day and I bet it can and will for you too. It starts with the courage to believe. 

peace to you
Dale
























Comments

Popular Posts