Wisdom of the Ages

It seems like every week I write blogs about finding or regaining our identity as well as our dreams. It led me to give thought as to why we lose who we are in the first place. With all the books, video's, and wisdom we gain with our daily walk through life you would think it would get easier. Looking back at all the emails I have received over the years I find it rather interesting that more times than not we simply give up on our dreams and fall right into the rut dug by all the people before us. We fit in rather than stand out.

In hindsight maybe our dreams were too big or unrealistic. Maybe when we finally find the courage to let the real person inhabiting our bodies escape we still find some way to mask our partial identity. No dreams, no identity and no identity, no hope. The picture gets even more murky when you try hard to be someone you are not with the hopes of finding some semblance of joy in an otherwise desolate existence.

With the wisdom of the ages at our fingertips, what makes it so damn tough to seek out that person that lives in us that we once knew. Could it be a fear of repeating past mistakes or maybe a fear of failure so big that it cast a pall over any light that could creep it's way into our miserable little world. From the outside yes we look happy but on the inside the years are passing by and the hope of making something out of life is draining faster than water in a freshly unclogged drain.

It doesn't have to be that way. Everyone reading this knows someone that has had that life altering experience that awakened in them the courage to live. That someone may be you and if so I hope you grabbed hold and make living your life worth as awesome as it possibly can be. Life is not about living for others it is about living for you. The great excuse that holds so many people back is the desire to sacrifice their life to make others lives better. That is not so bad except the better you make your life the better you can make others. You cannot make others happy if you are in fact miserable. I know people that tell me frequently that their passion is to help others. I love that because it is my passion as well. BUT in order for me to help others I must first help me. I spent years living the great lie that I just loved  helping the world and that my life was not important. That is not true and we all know it but it does give us a great martyr's excuse. It sounds good in conversation but inside it creates controversy that goes against the person God created us to be. To live for others we must learn to live and love ourselves.

I am passionate about finding the real me that dwells inside this body I call Dale. There have been times in my life that I lived on the terms of what the world thought I should be. BUT life circumstances that others may have seen as unfortunate I saw as opportunity. I think that is what we have to do when storms come our way. Place our sails high enough to grab the wind to sail on to smoother waters instead of simply grabbing a life jacket and riding it out. Who we are is so much greater than we will ever believe if we keep living our lives through the eyes of others. Stand up so you can stand out. Have the courage to be the person that you know is inside you. Stop thinking you are weird and just realize that you are special, you are unique, you are one of kind. The world will be a better place the day we meet the real you. Others will try to hold you back but they will not have the strength because there will be true friends lifting you up which will create a rope so strong that you will never slip back to the depths you once were.

Can you be you? I say yes you can. Today give yourself permission to accept where you are and what you have done. Look in the mirror and say to yourself, mirror mirror on the wall thank you for showing me the greatest miracle of all. There is hope my friends, there is life, let's together choose to find it and live it.

peace to you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts