The Race

This morning as I was getting ready to run my Sunday five miler, I decided to check the weather. It was very windy and raining with a temperature of 47. My options were to either lay in bed and read, which would be easy to do, or get it up get dressed and go run. I will admit I had to give it considerable thought but in the end I knew I had to run. There was nothing pleasant about 20 mph head winds and blowing rain except for the fact that I was out there.

The reason I shared that is too ask you to reflect on your own life, especially the areas that you are luke warm about. You see when it comes to running it is simple to just say no, I mean who really cares, right? Matter of fact most people would say that I have a few lose marbles rolling around in my head for even considering running in the elements much less actually doing it. When I first started running many years ago my resolve or commitment was low. The temperature had to be just right, the wind had to be low, and heaven forbid if it were raining or snowing. Isn't that true with many aspects of our lives? What is most interesting though is how much of my life mirrored my low commitment to running. I half way did everything yet I did nothing ALL IN. That changed for me one day and it can change for you too.

There is an old saying that goes like this: "you never know how strong you are until strong is all you have left". There is truth in that statement. When our backs are against the wall, we literally have to put up or shut up. Our human soul and survival mode seldom ever gives up. It has more strength than we will ever know if we just have the courage to call up on it. There is something to be said for running the race, going the distance, finishing strong. That includes any endeavor in your life. We have three choices in most things we do, either give up, give in, or give it all you got. I found that in running I choose to give it all I got regardless the conditions. That, believe it or not, has opened many avenues in my life, simply because I learned to go even when the going is slow.

What ever obstacles or goals you face in life, choose to be all in. There is no mountain so high you can't climb it nor a goal so big you can't achieve it. The secret is to just keep going. You have heard me say many times over the years "that you do not have to be great to finish but you do have to start to be great". It is the journey of a thousand miles that our goals look like. Yet that journey has to start with one simple step.

Let's talk about your life for just a moment. If you are in one of those periods in life to where you wonder why you even exist or if there is any purpose at all for your life, I want to share this with you. Several weeks ago I spoke to a lady that was going through cancer treatment. She was very weak and it looked as though the end of her life was imminent. During our discussion I asked her if she still looked forward to tomorrow. Without reservation she told me that as long as she was still here her purpose was not completely fulfilled, which meant she still had fire in her belly. In my eyes she had every reason to just give up and allow nature to take it's course but she had resolve, intestinal fortitude, and strength that I could only hope for. She was not just running the good race, she had every intention of completing the run no matter the obstacles. What about you, do you still have that fire in your belly?

You see in life we have a tendency to allow ourselves to get beat down. We spend so much of our time trying to fit in when we were born to stand out. To be yourself in a world that we rewards conformity takes strength beyond what the average person has. But we are not talking about average people are we? We are talking about you and I, two people that are born to make a difference. I find it fascinating what the human body can accomplish when we push the limits, yet all too often we fall into the death grip of believing that we cannot do something. You see we allow the world around us to decide what we can and cannot do when the truth is that decision rest with you and you alone.

My mind tells me that most people still have dreams inside them but fear to explore them due to the fact that the world has taught us to fit in not stand out. When dreams die so too does hope. Hope anchors the soul and without hope life has no meaning. God placed in us the ability to run great distances under the most extreme of conditions. Our bodies were built to be the temple of our creator yet for some odd reason we choose to limit ourselves and who God is in our lives. God has the power to move mountains but don't be surprised when he hands you a shovel. We were not created to have things done for us, we were created to do GREAT things.

Regardless where you are in life as it relates to health, finances, relationships, work, or social circles, I will tell you this, you are in the right place at the right time to make dramatic changes in your life. All you have to do is choose whether or not you want to be a fair weather participant in your life or if you want to give it all you got and run the good race. Speed is of little importance here, what matters the most is moving one foot in front of the other.

As I am sure you have gathered this blog is not about running, it can be about anything in your life that is holding you back. We all face the wind and rain in every facet of our lives, yet to make a difference and to become the greatest miracle we were created to be we have to call on that God given resolve and choose to believe that who we are right now is worthy enough to not only start the race but also to finish it.

peace be with you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts