I WANT TO BE ME!

Life is like a mirror, if you frown at the glass, it will frown back, conversely if you smile, it returns the favor. In that same context life is also like an echo, you get back what you send out. With that being said how many times do you wish you could take back something you said in a moment of anger? Don't worry we all say things throughout the course of our lives we wish we could take back. But let's not focus on that because we obviously can't unwind the clock. Let's put our energy into what we can do from this point forward.

As I prepare to write my blogs I take mental notes all week long. I also use my daily video messages as inspiration for what I hope turns out to be creative writings. This week I have placed emphasis on bringing hope back into our lives as well as letting go of the baggage that weighs us down. You may think based on what I have written so far that this blog will be typical and predictable, but I assure you that you are wrong. So put aside all preconceived notions and give your mind permission  to go places it otherwise stays away from.

For years I struggled with individuality. Like most people I was raised to conform, to fit in, to go with the flow. There is nothing inherently wrong with that EXCEPT we were born to stand out. You have heard the old saying that "if you follow the crowd you will most likely get lost in it". I want to use that statement to talk about subjects that are making our society weak and depressed. Consider the state of marriages as a percentage in America. More than half end in divorce and of the remaining half a very high percentage claim to be unhappy. That begs the question, WHY? This last week I took extra time to really absorb all the emails people send me that are struggling with self confidence. They shared with me that they finally got an ounce of courage and went out on a limb to find who they truly were, only to have the branch sawed off by family and friends that emphatically made it clear that their role in life was to fit in. Does this sound familiar?  Going a step further I have gotten several emails over the past several months from people that against their will allowed their parents to decide for them their career path. That in and of itself creates within us a sense of incompleteness because we are living our lives through the lenses of others. Now the biggie and if you know me you know I had to include the taboo subject of religion. I spent years teaching religion and loved every minute of it. During those years I met so many wonderful people that were desperately trying to find who God is and how he plays into their lives. The struggle though was finding the superhero strength to walk away from the church or religion they were raised in, if they were not getting the answers to the questions they were asking. I found that most churches as well as church members strayed from answering questions yet they had no problem telling you to "just have faith". Faith is a good thing however there are times that the wonderful amazing brain this God of faith gave us must be used to further develop who we are as a person. We deserve to ask the hard questions and we deserve even more being surrounded by people that will at least offer to to explore that discussion.

Now that I have laid the ground work let me attempt to pull this together into something that makes logical sense. We were born originals yet we are taught to become copies which means we will go through our lives in the shadows of others NEVER knowing the music the creator placed in us. We wonder why so many healthy people find themselves unhappy and depressed. Let me disclaim here and now that I am not playing the role of doctor, I am simply stating observations from my own journey through life as well as stories from people that have taken the time to write to me.

We were created to make a difference and we should take every opportunity in this life to do so. If hope anchors the soul then removing that hope from our lives goes against who and what we were created to be. We are not zombies or robots that mechanically go from point A to point B via remote control nor are we puppets on a string. We are amazing humans created from love for love to do things beyond our wildest imaginations. How do we live out those dreams? First we have to wake up from the coma society has placed us in and realize that our life is worth living and that we have purpose that can stimulate a passion so as to make living a breathing stunningly beautiful.

I know my writings are just words, but I have traveled the rocky roads and have had many a discussions with others that have done the same. We are programmed to react certain ways when situations call for it BUT what still mystifies me is that most of us would react much different if we followed our heart and not our conditioning. I have a feeling you know exactly what I mean. I will never forget the day that I decided that I was no longer going to go with the flow. I didn't just change some facets of my life, oh no, I gave myself permission to explore the possibilities from every direction I turned and turn upside down every thing I had learned. I wanted to give life a true litmus test from where my creative imagination came from. As it turned out I became much happier, I extended more love, and best of all I found myself understanding my faith and God so much more. I was no longer tied to a religion nor was a bound by the norms society had placed on me. I was now free to find and live the laws of the universe. My family and friends saw my heart grow fonder, my life become happier, and my health get better. All it took was the choice to CHOOSE living instead of simply going from being born to the grave and missing all the points in between.

I could write pages and pages on this topic. My goal is just to give you a glimmer of hope so you will at least explore the possibility of singing the music that resides in your heart, mind, and soul. As long as you are a statistic in the world that music will likely never get sung. The moment you BELIEVE that God created you to be so much more than you are today, then you will go from breathing to living.

peace be with you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts