My Great Escape is the Power of Forgiveness



We all search for, and some find it, that great escape. It could very well be an imaginary place or it could be a physical location to where we can relax our minds so as to chase those elusive dreams that so long ago drifted away. The great escape could also be that mental spiritual meditation to where you can let go of all the pressures you have allowed into your life. What ever or wherever your great escape may be I hope you make it a life long journey that encompasses your being and brings you great peace and tranquility.

My great escape has always been surrounded by the power of forgiveness. This is my great escape journey. I learned many years ago as a young teen that forgiveness has power unlike anything else we will ever have. It is often very confusing to others because we are trained in this land we find ourselves to harbor ill will and anger. I recall a wonderful quote that depicts appropriately what anger does to us. "Anger does more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than the vessel in which it is poured." When we have to choose between anger and forgiveness, more times than not, we find ourselves in that human element to where we cling to anger. Why? Simply because that is what we are conditioned to do. As we mature in our lives from adolescent to adult the fibers of jealousy, envy, anger, and even hatred weave it's way through our heart and soul. It isn't a natural thread that sews knots so tight, oh no, it is from years of mental formation. We are inundated with a barrage of imagery that places within our minds how we should act when certain things happen. Once that thread tightens it becomes like a chain with a lock and no key. Makes you wonder why we allow anger to have so much control when we have within us the power to forgive.

For me, I found that forgiveness gave me power over every situation. If I trespassed against someone I realized I must forgive myself in order to have any hope for a feature reconciliation. Regardless whether or not I was forgiven didn't matter, what mattered the most is the fact that I forgave myself. If others harmed me physically, emotionally or spiritually I knew that the only way to pave the way for a brighter tomorrow was to forgive them today. I confused so many people along this path because in the eyes of others I should hate certain circumstances and people that brought pain and suffering to me and others. The problem with that was that it placed me in that emotional prison for life. My great escape was and is too simply let go. If you find yourself surrounded by walls so high that you can't see the light of day. Stop dead in your tracks and ask yourself, is harboring this bitterness worth losing your life. Remember the great escape is in the power of forgiveness. It not only tears down walls, it also builds bridges. It restores the damage that anger has eroded.

During our lives our greatest enemy is often ourselves. We cannot fight an enemy that is in our head without learning the power of forgiveness. Harboring anger and bitterness is a paralyzing phenomenon that few recognize until many years later when they finally see that their lives are overflowing with broken promises and shattered dreams.

How do I place myself into my great escape? It took years of practice but now it is second nature. When I find or encounter a situation that brings out the worst in me, I pause to allow the intensity to slow down to where I can use my mental acuity to bring forgiveness back into my thoughts. In the words of Andy Andrews, "forgiveness is a secret that is hidden in plain sight. It costs nothing and is worth millions. It is available to everyone but used by few."

We have within us the power given to us by God to forgive ourselves and others at will. It releases us from emotional prisons and unlocks the power of the present. Without forgiveness we can never chase our dreams or give validity to hope. The true power of living resides in the wonderful amazing gift of forgiveness. Regardless whether or not you feel as though someone deserves your forgiveness the truth is you do deserve it. When I found my great escape I no longer found myself being poisoned by the solid walls of hatred. I realized that I was confined only by the walls I built myself and within those confines was enough strength to break the abode that blocked me from the beauty of my great escape.

We all cherish the thoughts of being loved and accepted. Anything that divides us from seeking that is not something that will ever bring you peace, joy, and fulfillment in life. We must build bridges in our hearts in order to traverse the immense canyon that separates us from our great escape. It isn't masculinity, brutality, or holding on to a belief system that you yourself struggle with that will bring you appreciation for your life. The only thing that will ever open the door for a magical, mystical, dream filled, hopeful tomorrow is learning to forgive today. You will irritate most people close to you however you will also attract so many more that will share your values and make your life worth living. Is there truly power in forgiveness. I think it is worth finding out for yourself. As for me, it not only is my great escape, it is my absolute power in the present and hope for tomorrow.

peace be with you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts