Still Livin A Dream

Several years ago I started writing a book called "Livin A Dream". Originally the book was a chronicle of my spiritual journey through cancer. The scenes played out in this blog. My post depended on my feelings at the time. Beings that this journey has encompassed better than 8 years I have witnessed a maturity and wisdom that might have been lost had it not been for that first post the day I got home from surgery.

I heard the noise off in the distant. It was a familiar tune playing out in the skies overhead. Why today made a difference I am not sure. It was a cold day standing on the shore of Lake Michigan with my Aunt. My mind was working overtime trying to ascertain what life during and after cancer treatment would be like. As the melody got closer, the howl of the cold wind almost blocked it out. As I looked up I saw it, the beautiful organized display of geese trekking through the heavens to their winter abode. The scene is often overlooked, but this time there was meaning. Life as I knew it had been turned upside down. Any other day the cold winter wind would have caused me to limit my outdoor activity. For some odd reason all I wanted to do was look up at the amazing show being put on just for me by these wonderful creatures of God. Those geese instinctively know that they have to change course in life in order to survive. It was a wonderful lesson for me, and could be for you as well.

The years would fly by and my life, like so many, went through a metamorphosis of change that would be hard to explain. Obviously I survived cancer beings I am writing this blog. As my life changed I often reflected back to that cold day in October to where the geese stole the show. Something as simple as that placed my life on a new course that literally altered my thinking as well as the direction I was going.

It became clear that in order for me to grow I had to shed the conventional wisdom that had plagued my thinking for so much of my life. I was always a spiritual being searching for the Holy Grail of life. I tried hard to fit in yet I always felt the tugging that I, like you, was born to stand out. Never the less I spent years conforming to the very thing my heart questioned. Then one day it happened. I had worked so hard to follow the crowd that I got lost in it. I woke up to the realization that life is dynamic yet I was living it as though it was static. In order to appeal to my greater senses I had to have the courage to wake up that which had been dormant basically since birth.

When I faced that fork in the road, I knew my next move would be met with controversy. I could keep going straight and just allow my life to play out with the scripts others had written for it. I could sit still, not do anything, and just get run over. I mean, why not, life had no meaning anyway. Or, I could be bold and make a right turn. Still heading in the direction that offered change yet a level of safety that fit into my comfort zone. I looked left, I saw the unfamiliar terrain of a landscape that promised nothing yet held the key to my future growth. My mind kept saying "go straight or sit still", yet my heart was pounding with the echo "turn right, turn right". It was my soul that screamed out with melody as harmonic and lovely as the geese I had so vividly recalled at that moment. The sound was clear "turn left".

The journey was uncomfortable, but enchanting. Friends and family questioned everything, however my soul said stay faithful and true. My lifetime of questions would finally be answered by this left hand turn. Not because I would stumble across the answers, oh no, the reason I would find the answers is because I found the courage to ask the questions. I know longer fit in to the traditional thinking that I felt forced to conform to. For once in my life I allowed God to wake up the sleeping giant with in. The ruts that had become so deep on the road well traveled  no longer existed when I made that turn to the road less traveled.

To say my eyes have opened up to a whole new world would be an understatement. I see ever so clearly how we worship false God's of materialism while many in the world are praying for a piece of bread or drink of water. For once I see the humanity in myself as well as others. The things we suffer from are not due to what we do as much as what we are told NOT to do. We were created to be curious creatures, to live on the edge, to push the envelop, to pursue our dreams, and to question EVERYTHING. My left hand turn provided me that courage. I no longer see the world as others see it, I now see it as a land of opportunity filled with the ability to capture dreams. God set our creation in motion, not so we could be a cute picture, so we could be a beautiful portrait. We were born an original yet it is up to us to make sure our worth isn't that of a mere copy.

I wrote last week a blog called "The American Jesus". It was a look inside the mind of a man that refused to go straight. I embarked on a spiritual journey that has placed many a wonderful people in path. My goal has never, nor will it ever be, to change someone's religious thinking. My goal was my goal, and that was and still is the courage to ask, pursue, and debate the life questions we all have. I only have one life to live, however it will be plenty because I finally decided to live it.

peace and love
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts