Emotions Dreams and Life

Several years ago I wrote a blog about the secrets and emotions we keep tucked away in our hearts. You know the one's I am talking about. We all have that great escape back to a place where time stood still. The dream will remain, the secret will endure, and the emotion of it all will either provide hope or despair. The secrets we hold in our hearts is what makes us who we are. Is there guilt or is there a sense of warmth and love that embody who we are. Let's take a journey together and find the answer.

The external life we witness in our day to day activities with others is but a small glimpse of who people really are. We create an image of how we perceive others as they do the same about us. To a point what we visualize is correct yet there is that missing element that burns to the core that we miss. Every now and then we got to get out of the spell that we are under and start to live our lives through the dreams that we hold. Some would say that is impossible, I say it is plausible and probable.

I remember many years ago, I was 14 and trekking across the country with reckless abandon. I had no idea what tomorrow held, no clue as to where the next meal was coming from, yet I still fostered the vision that my hopes and dreams would always come true. The issue I faced was the emotion of leaving something I knew I could never return too. I made emotional connections to people that found their way in and out of my life. It took years to turn the emotions into life lessons.

Late one night in the summer of 75 I was listening to radio station 15Q on my little pocket transistor. Maggie Mae, a wonderful song by Rod Stewart begin to play. At that moment my mind drifted to a girl named Wendy. I was nowhere close to the socioeconomic circle her family lived in but in my dreams we were two hearts beating as one. As fate would have it her family moved to Florida and my wandering generality life continued it's rolling stone pace. The emotions I felt for Wendy were epic if not astronomical at the time. My heart was crushed that she was leaving yet she never even knew I liked her. Fast forward to the summer of 76 when life as I knew it took a turn. We loaded up and headed west with no particular place to go. As a poor loner drifting from place to place i found that my heart grew very fond of people in similar situations. We learned to live life for the moment because tomorrow we would most likely being rolling along again. Hearts pounded, laughs were shared, sorrow ensued, yet somehow through it all dreams lived on. Beings that I now knew that the people I met would not remain in my life it became my goal to always do my best to leave them with hope. In turn I gained a sense of peace, hope, love, and acceptance for my on life that guided me for the years ahead.

I wrote a blog a few weeks ago about Cindy, the amazing young girl I met only briefly. I learned early on in life that we absolutely must treasure the relationships we make.I may not have spent much time with Cindy however she has had a huge impact on my life and who I have become. Never discount those brief encounters. God sends Angels into our lives and GUESS what we may also be an Angel to someone else. Cindy and I had a connection that only two young hearts could understand. We had nothing yet we had everything.

 Even if they may be brief. The best lessons of my life have come from encounters that last hours at the most. I didn't choose to live my early life as a rolling stone, but I did make the best of it. My transistor kept me occupied many of nights as I searched for the reasons as to why life played out in such unorthodox ways. As an outsider looking in I could see the emptiness in the eyes of the one's that others thought had it all. I quickly realized that I had something they didn't. I was not bound by an ideology that had been passed down to me through family and friends. I had something much deeper than the shallow emotional connections many where tied too. The look in their eyes was hopelessness, despair, and at times rage. What I had was something unique or at least to me. I had witnessed first hand the hardships of the homeless, the hungry, the wayward souls drifting aimlessly from place to place.

The lessons from that early period carried me till now. The emotions of lost love, friends that faded away, relationships that come and go with the wind, the dreams that seem to die yet somehow always find a way to come back to life. I learned that in life we must develop our heart, mind, and soul carefully yet freely into the greatest version of ourselves possible. We can't live our lives vicariously through the eyes of others, we must take responsibility for every moment of every day. That empowers us to embrace life in amazing new ways.

This may seem random, and to some extent it is. This morning as I sit here at my computer my mind drifted back to the days of old. A great time in my life to where I understood that our struggles make us better people. A time when tomorrow held little meaning because we were all living for the greatest gift God gave us which was the present. A time when breaking bread with folks wasn't about sitting around the Sunday table with a large gathering of family, no no, it was about sharing a common bond with those living as if today could be their last. We knew the power of love was so much greater than the tug of hatred. We knew that envy cast a pall over people that no amount of material possessions could ever overcome. We knew that today was ours and the best way to utilize what we had was to love the person we were.

The emotions of harboring a lost love, a faded memory, and that day that time stood still, the flutter of a heart, the loss of a loved one, those are all elements of who we are. Do not allow yourself to be molded into something other than what your heart desires you to be. This is your life to live and the only way to live it effectively and with meaning is to live in the moment. I still dream about the summers of 75 and 76. Not a day passes that I don't recount the wisdom gained from meeting those on the street. My life is better, my love is deeper, and my appreciation for humanity is so much higher because of the time God allowed me to grow into the person that I am. We can't allow the belief system of others to guide our life. If you do you will face despair, depression, and a hollow feeling that no amount of materialism can ever fill. Those emotions that you keep secretly tucked away in your heart will guide you to a place of hope. Set yourself free, cut the chains that bind you, and most of all shape your life into one that will make your emotions peak more than they dwindle. You picked a good time to be alive and a better time to be in love. Love who you are and life will love you back.

peace and love
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts