WLS Chicago

I sure remember those hot summer nights in August of 75. On the weekends I always looked forward to those late evenings trying to dial my transistor radio to pick up WLS Chicago. It was a special feeling to be able to listen to your favorite rock tunes in Jackson TN from a station so far away. Often times you would have to delicately fine tune the radio and navigate through the static in an effort to catch that song that would stimulate  your senses. Depending on where you were in the house or what direction you had the transistor facing determined the quality of your reception. It was a constant effort, but oh was it worth it. The wonderful melodies I listened to on those dark summer nights and the memories they hold, only to me, so many years later.

Do you find yourself in a situation to your where your mind is so filled with static that no matter what direction you turn or where you go you just can't seem to dial in to the station you are looking for. Your heart sends you one direction, your soul another, and then your conscience is trying to help you make sense of it all, yet your brain can't process it fast enough, and before you know it your mouth has blared out something that has no resemblance of who you are or what you are trying to be. Why does it have to be some damn complicated? Why can't the parts of our body all come together for one common purpose, to make my life have meaning.

It was around 3:00 am when WLS cranked out Rod Stewart's Maggie May. My heart sunk because it was our favorite song. I can't tell you how many times we skated to that and the emotions it stirred. I was 13 years old and my heart was already filled with love. I'll never forget that Friday night hand in hand making laps at the rink when she shared with me that her family was moving to FL with her Dad's job. Static filled my brain and no amount of fine tuning could get me dialed back in. The weeks turned into months yet the nights spent wrestling down my feelings were ever present. I had no music left in me, no station to listen to, and my mind was so full of clutter I couldn't make sense of anything.

Our memories have a lasting impression on our heart because so many times there is no closure. I think that is a wonderful thing because in those instances it gives us the ability to be forever young. My life drifts so often to those amazing nights trying diligently to get my little red radio through the static to the station that I knew could guide my heart.  Sure over time the feelings faded, new stations were found, and my heart healed. However, those nights I worked so hard to free the station from static, just like I do my mind, were not in vain.

I admit life can be very confusing at times. Our heart can play tricks on us depending on our vulnerability. Our minds can send us off into orbit over the least little things and our soul struggles to quieten us down long enough to ease our pain. It's true static consumes us to the point our music is lost. Every direction we turn it seems as though arrows are flying right at us. Our dreams are fading, our bodies are weak, and hope is nonexistent. How did everything get so confusing? Where are those beautiful love songs I use to listen too? Why can't the station be easy to find?

Have you ever sit back and wondered if you are the static in someone else's life? We all search for clarity yet few consider that they may be the problem. We all enjoy sharing our narrow views of life, world events, gossip, etc, but we seldom slow down long enough and go, maybe just maybe my static is my fault and my actions are causing others to lose the station they are trying to listen too.

We all have beautiful melodious music buried deep within us. There are those moments in life where we just need to turn the radio off, relax, and allow the harmony God placed in us to shine through. Stillness of mind creates peace in our hearts which allows our soul time to tune in the station that will provide salve for the body. We are created with such precision that when all the parts line up they form a mosaic so beautiful that everyone wants to see it sparkle.

I don't know what station your are trying to find. Heck maybe you are trying to understand a friendship, a romance, a career, investment, church, or a health decision. Whatever it is, once you get the static out the path to your beautiful awe inspired song begins to take shape. It is time for you to, well, be you. Stop trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out. You will never fine to the station as long as you are living your life for the sake of others. Be the greatest version of yourself possible. Be you, 100% all in, be yourself. Allow your dreams to come back to life, let the ember in your heart become a flame, go after that pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow, and believe without a shadow of a doubt that you can replace the static with music so astounding that your soul will awaken the giant that has long since been asleep. Life is a wonderful thing, the minute you realize it is worth living.

peace and love
Dale

















Comments

Popular Posts