How often do our thoughts cloud our realities

When someone asks you for help or advice, do you ever struggle with finding the right words to say? I faced that twice this week and both times was not sure if I listened intently enough, said the right thing, made the right facial expressions, or came across that I truly cared. There comes a time in most people’s lives when they feel the need to pour their hearts out in the hopes of being understood and respected. As I sit listening I ask myself the old standby “what would Jesus do”, even then I still did not think I had the words of wisdom the situations called for. In both cases I ask the person if we could talk again the next day and thank goodness one agreed, so I came home got my thoughts together and then turned to God quietly.

How often do our thoughts cloud our realities? Are their stones blocking our paths causing us to be blind to the real road ahead? Is our tank running low with no hopes for a refill in sight? I know these are general statements, but I do believe that before we can address what I wrote in the first paragraph we have to be alert to what is going on in our very own hearts, mind, and even our home. If we seek to give spiritual or emotional advice and we do not include God in the equation or clear the clutter from before us, the wisdom we impart may well add to a person’s problem not take it away. I do not think any of us have to be saints to help our brethren nor do we have to be perfect, matter of fact I am convinced that as we set out to help people more times than not the person being helped is us.

If by now you think I have talked in circles you are correct. I intended for this to be a little confusing to illustrate how we live our lives. We live as though there is no God, or that God is this imaginary figure in some distant far off land. We cannot accept that we were created for the sole purpose of loving the Lord as well as those we come in contact with. When we get angry or frustrated we wonder where God is or if he even exist. These feelings result not from a lack of God’s love and healing, nor the absence of his compassion and forgiveness, rather our stubborn determination to go our own way.

As I sit here thinking of the conclusion I am reminded of the opening verse of a beautiful song, it goes like this, “here I am Lord, I come to do your will, make of me what pleases you, here I am, here I am, Lord.”
There are many hidden treasures in this week’s meditation and I hope what you have read will encourage you to take the time, be still, get quiet and allow yourself to be mindful of God’s presence in your life.

peace to you
dale

Comments

Popular Posts