How do you handle disappointment

How do you handle disappointment? That seems like a strange question to start off a meditation doesn’t it? I ask that because I recently met a man that had faced one disappointment after another and his ability to handle it dwindled the more he faced.

I think it is safe to say that each one of us that lives long enough will face many hardships as we journey through this earthly life. Our ability to deal with such difficulties is somehow related to our spiritual development. Allow me to qualify that statement further because I have seen deeply spiritual people that turn a blind eye to their faith when their life takes an unfortunate turn.

Taking a look at your own life, how do you handle it when life deals you a bad hand? Is it really a bad hand or is it an opportunity to put your life back on track? I believe there are periods in our life that when we veer off course without knowing it. Then when the storm hits our shelter is not built on solid ground. The great news is that there is always hope.

As human beings, social creatures in need of love and acceptance, we often times find comfort in our local church community without deepening the faith of which we are called to nourish. When tough times come we are, more times than not, ill equipped to trust in Jesus Christ to guide us through. Usually people head in two directions when strife arrives. Some get rebellious and throw caution to the wind, while others seek a closer union with God. Both are normal responses; however you can see the healthier approach.

One thing is for sure we cannot avoid disappointment in this life, so we better learn to deal with it. The only sure way is to deepen your relationship with Christ. The only thing that ever hinders peace is that someone doesn't surrender. So, when you get upset, dismayed, or frustrated, "Let the peace of God rule in your heart" (Colossians 3:15).

Lord Jesus, I believe and I profess that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God. Take my life, my will, and all that I have, that I may be wholly yours now and forever, in your holy name we pray AMEN

Peace and joy
Dale Childress

Comments

Popular Posts