If you want to lose weight stick to the diet

I am sure that title perked up some ears and what I write may offend however that is not the intention. I know many people as do you that always talk about starting a diet to lose weight. Some even try the magic pills that melt away the pounds. Very few people however stick to anything long enough for it to be effective. In our society we look for the easy way out instead of doing what is right. To make matters worse the media has convinced us that our weight issues are medical and not products of our choices. Otherwise we do not have to take responsibility if we can just find some super, simple something that keeps our bodies in check while we do what we want to do. In the real world it just doesn’t work that way, does it?
Let’s take this analogy into our faith and spiritual lives. Just like dieting, I know people, myself included at one time, that move from church to church seeking a message that they are comfortable with. The message has to fit into their lives to where they can feel close to God yet still do what they want to do. The truth is that the word of God has been the same forever and always will be. Our guide to living a life of morality stems from our following the Gospel. If you want to lose weight, stick to the diet. If you want to live a life with hope and certainty of an eternal peace, follow the commandments.
Like dieting, finding and following a spiritual life is not easy. There are so many factors that influence our belief system. I heard a quote today that says that “people quit growing when the price gets too high.” I know that following a diet plan is not easy but the price is just too high to not follow it. Even more is the high price of not developing a faith grounded in the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Develop a belief in yourself that you are the greatest miracle in the world. You deserve to be healthy, you deserve a strong self image, and most of all you deserve the love of Jesus Christ. If you say that you are on a diet act like you are. If you say you are a Christian and you profess your faith in Christ then act like it. The price for failure is just too high.
Let me close with a passage from Matthew 28 “Peter answered him, we have left everything to follow you, what then will there be for us.” I encourage each of you to read Jesus’ response. Remember where there is no hope in the future; there is no power in the present. Our hope is in Christ.
Lord Jesus, give me a lively faith, a firm hope, a fervent charity, and a great love for you. Take from me all luke warmness in meditating on your word, and dullness in prayer. Give me fervor and delight in thinking of you and your grace. Fill my heart with compassion for others, especially those in need, and that I may respond with generosity. In your holy name I pray AMEN
Peace and love
Dale Childress

Comments

Popular Posts