Reflecting back

When you find yourself reflecting back on the day, the week, or whatever time frame you choose, are you thinking about the what if’s, the why not’s, or the oh yea’s? I had the honor of speaking to a gentleman on a flight a couple weeks ago who wanted to reflect back on his work career and how fortunate he was to have been able to work for a company for 40 years. He went on to tell me that during that time he never called in sick, came in late, or asked for time off outside of his accrued vacation. He obviously felt like he owed his company more than they owed him which contributed to his successful career. I contrast that with a person I met while at my travel destination. We got into a life discussion; and during his reflection he went on to tell me how bad his job was, his health, his family, his finances, etc. I am in no way saying that this man did not have problems outside of his control. But instead of taking responsibility for where he was in life, he allowed his circumstances to control where he was going.

I think it is valuable to reflect back on the way things were, could have been, or should have been. I also say that the reflection should only be used as a basis to go forward in life.

I ran across a quote recently that goes like this “a person that makes excuses is seldom good for anything else.” It brought to mind a dear friend that I have written about in months past. He is a gentleman that has had both legs amputated at the hip and only has the use of one arm. He is confined to his wheelchair all day and is dependent on others for his care. If anyone would have a reason to be bitter it would be my friend. However, the opposite is true. He is thankful for his day, his life, his friends, and that our loving God has given him so much. In our eyes, which are measured mainly by money and possessions, we would say he has little. He does not make excuses nor does he complain. Instead, he brings joy and Christ to all that surround him

I write all this to say this: live your life in a manner of which God intended. Live with love and peace in your heart. Remember if there is no hope in the future, there is no power in the present. Reflect back with a keen eye forward. Tomorrow is a dream yet to be lived and today is the greatest gift God is giving us. Live it with dignity and honor and in all you do give glory to our Lord Jesus Christ. I close with a quote from John 16:33 “in the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”



Peace and joy
Dale Childress

Comments

Popular Posts