Who are you?

Who are you and what are you doing? Sounds like a silly question, doesn’t it? Lately I have given a lot of thought to who I am and whether or not I believe in myself. The more I pondered this, the more I realized how lost I was in my self identity. To add to my confusion I asked myself if I knew where I was going even though I was not sure if I even knew what I was doing.

That is a tough question if we do not know who we are anyway. I recently read a book that made me reflect on where I was going or at least where I thought I was going in my life. I quickly realized that I was pushing through the obstacles in my path because I was trying to live my life with no direction. After I read most of the book, it appeared to me that I was living my life looking in a mirror instead of looking out the window. I was living for me instead of living for God.

Have you ever considered that people in your life might be leading you in a direction away from the teachings of Christ? We get so comfortable with our surroundings that it is hard to even consider that there are people around us that do not have our best interest in mind. It is vital for each of us to recognize these people and move away from them yet continue praying for them. For us to be the best we can be, we have to put our energy and focus in a God centered world and not a mirror centered world of self. The window of life is precious and has the grandeur of positive images each way we look. I recently read a quote that says “If only a person believed in themselves, what a wonderful world it would be.” Oh how true that statement is, yet how distant the reality is as well.

Now that I have you totally confused let me bring this meditation together. Who are you? A child of God created in his likeness and image. What are you doing? Seeking your place in this earthly kingdom yet doing so without the help of our savior. We have become so arrogant in thinking that we know what we need and we can get it without praying and placing Christ first in our lives. This arrogance is destruction to self esteem. If this sounds like you, someone you know, or someone you have been, then just the mere fact that you realize this brings hope to your being.

If you are confused about what is important, let me give you just a little help. I am going to ask you to believe that you are the greatest miracle in the world. Within you lies the power to unlock the hopes and dreams that have long since diminished. Allow Christ to come alive inside you. Do not be concerned with where you currently are in life. It doesn’t matter if you are near death or full of life. It doesn’t matter if you are poor in spirit, poor in finances, or poor in faith. Jesus Christ is alive and seeking you out. You are important because you were created by the creator himself. Take stock of what you have. If you are breathing and reading this, you are wealthy beyond words. Stop dying and start living. Live for you because in you lives Jesus Christ.

Let me close with a passage from Ephesians “I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints.”

Lord Jesus, you alone can satisfy the deepest longing in my heart. No other treasure can compare with you. Keep me free from all discontentment, possessiveness, greed and selfishness, that I may have joy in knowing that you alone are my true Treasure and my Portion. In your holy name I pray AMEN

Peace and joy to all
Dale Childress

Comments

Popular Posts