Black Friday

I was going to write a good meditation this week about seeking directions when going on a trip. The gist of it was how dependent we are on mapquest and a GPS to get exactly where we are going. In years past if you are old enough to recall, we had to ask directions or figure it out with a paper map. I was going to use the analogy about how the Bible is our GPS in life; and it is safe to say that most homes have one or more but they are seldom used. I was going to further say that the reasons we get lost in life is because we do not use the tools available to keep us going the right direction which is the word of God. Not a bad topic for a meditation, wouldn’t you say?

Well all that changed when the hype about Black Friday started. The news was building about the intensity of what that morning would be like. People were getting their plans together so they could be in the right place at the right time to get that gift they just could not live without. I was amazed at the lengths people would go to make sure they did not miss this onetime event. Admittedly it was exciting; no I was not shopping, and hopefully fun. Obviously there is nothing wrong with getting up early and going shopping on this once a year blow out excursion that creates so much adrenaline that people will literally fight for their rightful place in line. I spoke to some folks later that day and they truly had a blast battling the crowds. We need those escapes in life that get our heart pumping and feet moving.

The reason I write both of these paragraphs is obvious by now. In the first, I speak about the GPS and how dependent we are on it to get us to our destination. In the second, I use the analogy of Black Friday and the extreme enthusiasm it creates for one day. My point for writing this is to hopefully foster some thinking about what it could or would be like if we somehow could feel the same about our Christianity and Church as we do shopping on Black Friday. So many of our lives are in such a mess that we are literally one more issue from disaster and what makes it worse is we know it. Neither you nor I can change anything that has happened but we can have a dramatic impact on our present and future. If I can encourage you to please pick up the life GPS which is the Bible (basic instruction before leaving earth) and just start reading the Gospel of Matthew. A few minutes a day will get the thought process going. Next I would like to encourage you to go back to church and go with a purpose. Instead of being an idle bystander passing the time away, this time pay attention. Allow the word of God to enter into you like never before.

If you want your life to have meaning, then create a purpose and passion for it today. It is never too late to dream big, pray big, and think big. Today we are not going to pray for God to just help us out we are going to pray for God to lift us up and make us whole, complete, and great. We are going to pray with expectant faith that we will once again find the joy in life we need and deserve to be a leader in this great kingdom. Join me right now and together let’s make a difference.

Lord God today I am praying that you will restore me and make me whole again. I pray that you will take away all the obstacles that I have placed in my path that keep me from you. Lord I pray for total healing that my body and mind can be fresh and I can once again program my GPS toward your will for me. Lord I pray for strength to forgive and be forgiven. Lord I pray with total expectant faith that you will bring me out of darkness and into light. Finally Lord I pray for the ability to wash away my sins of yesterday so that I may dream about tomorrow. Lord I will not turn away from you because now I need you more than ever. I pray all this in the most Holy name of Jesus Christ AMEN

May the peace and grace of Christ our Lord be with you always
Dale Childress
Dchildress@livinadream.com

Comments

Popular Posts