Serene or Complex

I was driving a few days ago and I passed a lake. Noticing how calm the water was I started feeling a bit serene. Prior to seeing the beauty of the lake my mind was sorting out the complexities of the week. Amazing how quick the transformation from complex to serene happened.

As I drove my mind went back to my childhood when my friend’s dad used to take us to local wrestling. Like most I was caught up in cheering for the good guys while jeering the bad guys. Looking back I find it rather cool that the guy we loved to boo could be transformed into someone we loved in a matter of minutes. Even as a kid I could change from complex to serene almost without knowing it. Pretty wild how God created us to forgive and accept so quickly. Sad thing is that is a trait most of us forget as we grew in maturity.

The further I drove the more I smiled about the complexities of life verses the serenities of life. What makes us create or fabricate the life particles that creep into our being and eat at the peaceful moments we yearn for? The talk of wanting a simpler life is simply that talk. The truth is we want what we want when we want it. That in itself stimulates a complex process that goes against the nature and serenity of God himself.

As my final destination approached I thought back to an article I read that morning about how antidepressant use has increased 400% in the last ten years. I wonder how much of this is due to how complex, overbooked, out of control, over the top, pushed to the max, stretched to the limit life we find ourselves leading. Sure makes the serene appealing when we find a moment to live it. Funny thing is that most of us prefer the complex over the serene until the complex becomes unbearable.

As I now sit in the parking lot with my heart beating to the rhythm of a mind basking in serene thoughts I knew that I had to step out of the vehicle and walk back into a complex world that I had created. My brain now twirling at a high rate of speed I knew I wanted to share with someone my thoughts about the serene verses the complex.

The drive back offered me the opportunity to close painful doors that had been opened for far too long. It gave me the time to forgive those situations that I had allowed to well up inside for years. I was also able to once and for all fall in love with the skin God had blessed me to live in. In that short amount of time I learned to love without judgment and to see without knowledge of the view before me. I could see the person not the hate, the beauty not the frown. I could finally see Christ in them which in turn allowed me to find Christ in myself.

The serene verses the complex? The world is what the world is no doubt however to be of serene nature I have to say this in closing, Christ is who Christ is so I ask who are you? Are you one in Christ or one in the world, complex or serene?

May God’s blessings be with you always
Dale Childress

Comments

Popular Posts