Polar Plunge


A few weeks back a friend ask me to take The Polar Plunge to benefit the Special Olympics. It sounded like a great idea and certainly a good cause so I committed. The morning of the event instead of it being nice and warm it was windy and cold. Several of us plungers readied ourselves for the insanity. When they called number 15 I made my way to the side of the polar abyss. When the word came out to jump I took the leap of faith and plunged myself into the deep end of freezing water. When I surfaced and began to make my way to the side I literally could not breathe. Have you ever had those moments in life that you thought you were prepared for but when they happened it took your breath away?

Needless to say I survived the plunge and I am confident I will support the cause next year. The time leading up to the jump as well as the plunge itself gave me thought to what I wanted to write about. It is easy to plan something that has a level of risk as well as an almost certain safety.  It is another thing to take the plunge of life without knowing whether you will come up for air or not. Even more food for thought is when you are plunged into the abyss of life without any known safety net. I will let you all decide what the plunge has been for you.

What I do know is this when the plunges of life occur and we are seeking safety in something or at least searching for the next breathe it is certain that the word faith should surface every time. There are times when you will be alone in the freezing pool of life and all you have to cling to is the faith that dwells inside. I believe God works best in the freezing waters of life. It doesn’t take much to wade into the warmth and shallows of water where you are certain no risk looms. Those are the times in life that we think we do not need the love and comfort of God. We may not speak it but our actions sure reveal it. God sent his Son Jesus to save us from the bitter cold that resides in the hearts of many as well as our own hearts. Jesus came to give us warmth and security. More than that he came to thaw us out and restore our heart, soul, and emotions from the life we have been living.

Love is the commandment we hear often; love is what sits us free. The road to love is forgiveness and acceptance of others. The only way to love and accept others is to love and accept Christ.
Go ahead take the plunge Christ is prepared to rescue you from the frozen life and place you back into the fire for the living. Life doesn’t end with the polar plunge it simply begins.  If something in your life is not making sense or seems out of order give it up to Christ.  Today is a beautiful day filled with peace and joy. Don’t look back look ahead.

Peace and love
Dale Childress







Comments

Popular Posts