Atheism and Christianity


A couple weeks ago I ask for suggestions or concerns people would like me to discuss in my weekly reflections. Needless to say I had some wonderful responses and hopefully over a few weeks I will address many of them. Today I would like to write about a controversial topic that two different people from opposite walks of life wrote to me about and that is the rise of Atheism or the decline of faith which ever you prefer to call it. As you read this please understand that I do not in any form or fashion consider being an expert on this topic. I am merely writing an opinion and trying to provoke thought in your own minds.
There is no question that we are experiencing a challenge from within our churches today. On one end you see churches hawking for money to build bigger and better facilities and mask it in the name of faith. We are lead to believe that if we do not do our part that we are not following the teachings of Christ. Many of you may recognize this happening in your own church and feel a bit jaded by the project if you tend to disagree with it. Obviously there is a time a place for faith based institutions to grow and when done properly it can be a positive thing that helps the community in many ways. Most of you reading this will understand what I am talking about.
I had one reader write about how much the right wing religious radicals try to control the thoughts and actions of our churches today. This is a man made control mechanism that’s sole intent is to force people to think and act the way they want you to think and act. When a church becomes filled with the right wing religious zealots it will not be long before the congregation leaves and sad to say many will leave their faith all together. If you are a person that is IN YOUR FACE religious radical consider if your actions or moving people toward Christ or away.
In order to get this next part correct I am borrowing an exact quote from a person that responded to me: “ I find it interesting that individuals will use the Bible to attack homosexuals and abortion, but conveniently overlook or ignore the fact that Jesus applied grace and mercy when dealing with the sexual immoral. “ WOW that says a lot doesn’t it.
This conversation could go on and on and I could write about this topic for days, years or months. For the average sinner such as me and you it is safe to say that you have experienced some or all of these issues in your faith journey. Or you may have questions why bad things happen to good people or good things happen to bad people.
My goal for writing this today is one to respond to what people ask me to write about and two a wakeup call that together we can make a difference. Even the so called right wing radicals are lost in their faith. Jesus was strong yes however he was also full of mercy. Jesus was about forgiveness and love not condemnation and hate. It is sad that many churches today create an atmosphere of hate if you do not believe what they preach. I am sure there are many people in the world today that would simply like to hear a wholesome word of hope from scripture, a word that can get their moral compass heading back north no matter what direction it is coming from. It is time we hear and heed the teachings of Christ when it comes to forgiveness and give people a second, third, fourth, fifth or however many chances they need to get their faith based lives in order.
Let’s love those that hate us and reach out to those that turn away from us. Let’s create a movement that places emphasis on love not hate, acceptance not rejection. Instead of casting people out let’s pull people in. It has to start with you so this is my reach out and I am asking you to look in your heart and see if you are following the teachings of Christ or well I will let you fill in the blank there. One thing for sure is this, we the religious have made a fertile ground for Satan and atheism to flourish. Our actions have driven people out of church and worse away from their faith. While we poked our chest out others are finding relieve in drugs, alcohol, or even suicide. It does not have to be this way. Love can and will find away.
Love me or hate me for writing this either way is ok. I am not writing to be popular, I ask what was on your mind and you responded. I do think Christianity is in trouble however I think there is plenty of hope as well. There are many great works happening by Christians as well as people of all faiths across the world. The people that seek to purify the altars of Christ will look back one day and notice they are walking alone while those that promote love and hope will have a host of people following their every footstep. I have a book I give away to people suffering emotionally from the effects of cancer the book is called ‘A Reason for Hope”. In the book there is a question that simply says “DO YOU WANT TO LIVE”, my question to you is the same do you want to live? If the answer is yes and I hope it is then the way to life is through hope, love, giving, and forgiving in Christ. Do you really want to live?
 In closing I want to disclaim that church is not bad matter of fact church is good as long as it teaches what Jesus wanted taught. Church is good as long as it puts the faith of the people first. Church is good when the voice of the have nots is equal to or greater than the haves. Church is good when forgiveness and reconciliation or not just words they are true actions.
Let’s unite and put faith back in our lives. I am in are you?
Peace to you
Dale Childress


Comments

Popular Posts