HAPPY DAYS


Do you remember watching Happy Days on TV with its corny family comedy? For those folks over 40 lets go back about 25 to 30 years when we had life without cell phones. There was no instant communication or should I say instant aggravation. No one knew everyone else’s business within seconds of something happening. Back in the day we had an imagination or fascination that either helped us face or escape reality. Today 80% (I am guessing) of our circle of influence has cell phones, Ipads, laptops, etc. We have information coming at us so fast we usually get it way before the truth has been revealed. At times when the truth comes much later the damage has already been done. Oh how some of us long for the days of old.
Now that I have made the statement about times of old I also in the same breath cherish the wave and change of the future. I love the advances in medicine and other technology that makes our society in many ways a safer place to live. I am always amazed at what will come next. I think the Star Trek beam me up days are closer than we think.
Why am I writing all this silly stuff? Honestly to say that as much as technology moves forward we humans stay the same. You see we were created in perfect image and harmony with our creator. No need for us having a third eye, a second belly button, or an extra thumb, we have exactly what we need to survive now and in the future. Regardless where technology takes us we know that at the core is the brain that God created in a human being. Other words without God nothing we have would be possible.
Do we need all we have? I can’t answer that objectively. For me I have been the recipient of medical technology that helped keep me alive. With that though I also used my God given technology and worked hard to stay in shape, maintain a positive attitude, and try to help others when and where I can. Technology combined with our human heart, mind, and soul can forge a world that people can love, share, and be happy. It can also help you stay healthier longer. Consider how overweight the American population has become. Is it because we have more technology that makes us lazier? Only you can answer that one. People that know me would know that I would say get up and get moving. Don’t wait for the next miracle potion, use what God gave you.
I think in some selfish way we all want advancement in technology. Whether it is to help solve more crimes, to aide in medical research, to make our work more accurate, or to make our homes more comfortable and safe we all have something to gain from research and development. My goal in this writing is to encourage people to face the future with a keen eye on the past. Embrace the technology that can make our lives better without sacrificing our privacy. Yearn for the happy days while looking forward to tomorrow.
Next time you use the technology available to you consider whether it is being used in a positive manner or negative. Do you text and drive, check your email on your phone at work, text in church, or talk constantly on your phone while in the company of others? You get the message. Have we forgotten to keep the main thing the main thing? People are dying inside all around us. Our sense of relationship and emotion has been replaced by speeding fingers, capital letters, and images that supposedly express our feelings. God gave us eyes to see with, ears to hear with, heart to feel with, and a mind to think with. Use these tools that you were born with to reestablish a life that has grown cold. Sure many will disagree and I hope they do. All I want is for you to take a look at your life and see if the constant feed of information has left you better connected or more disconnected. God wants you back and today seems like a great day to give back just a little of what has been given to you. In the beginning God gave you all the tools you needed to make this world great. How are you using what has been given freely to you?
Peace and love to all
Dale Childress

Comments

Popular Posts