What makes you happy

I read this great quote this morning by Hugh Downs and here is what it says, "life begins when you do". That is a powerful statement if there ever was one.
I recall several years ago when I was on my first trip to The Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion IL. When we got into the limo at the airport for the 45 minute ride to the hospital we were joined by a lady named BJ. I have to tell that BJ was suffering from stage 4 lung cancer and this was her final hope for life. It was obvious she felt bad and she was concerned that the amount of life she had left was quickly draining. We exchanged some small talk on that short trip mainly because I was fighting my on battle with stage 4 prostate cancer and not certain what my future was looking like.
I want to fast forward a few days and share with you the next time I saw BJ. This time instead of seeing a person that was figuring out how to die with grace I saw a person that was full of life. BJ had her hair fixed up some fresh make up on and a new zest for life that was exciting to say the least. I visited with her for a few minutes trying to make sense of the difference. I know she still had advanced cancer and probably still had a shorter life span than she may have wanted. What changed in BJ was her focus, she went from figuring out how to die to figuring out how to live in the life she had.
I was able to visit with BJ a couple more times during that stay and each time she was brighter and bigger than life itself. When it came time to go home BJ was ready to start that business she had always dreamed of with a fire in her eye that few people have. I wish I could tell you what became of BJ however we did not exchange contact information. I am confident I can say with authority though that she lived and hopefully is living everyday to the max. She learned how precious life can be and how small the obstacles are that in day to day life look like mountains. I owe so much to a lady I only knew briefly. If BJ only knew the influence she had I know she would be proud.
BJ knew what she wanted once someone took the time to believe in her. She knew what would make her happy? Do you know what would make you happy? I can only speak for myself when I say this, I know first hand that every time I buy something I want instead of need the euphoric feeling wears off quick. It isn't the purchase of something that makes me happy, what about you? I remember one time when I wanted to get back at someone that I felt wronged me, I allowed the feeling to consume me as I created situations in my mind to where I could get my revenge. That too did not leave me happy. Again what about you?
Would you believe me when I say that God wants you to be happy? I saw that firsthand with BJ, when she was given the opportunity to state her dreams and vision of what she hoped her life would be something magical happened. Not sure why it took a death sentence to create life but in her case and my case it did. Thank God what was death did in fact turn into life.
Do not wait till you think you are dying to start your life, it can start now. I am nobody but I do believe in you. Figure out what really makes you happy, share it with someone you trust, and then in some small way start moving in that direction. Ghandi moved a nation without weapons and we too can move mountains by simply changing our focus. Remember the old cliche "don't worry be happy" well heck lets starting living it today. Stop dying and start living.  I believe, do you?

peace to you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts