Country Club

Over the last few weeks I have had several people write to me sharing their faith journey. Many reference their churches as country clubs that they have become uncomfortable being a part of. Having to build bigger and more lavish structures all in the name of promoting christian activity has created huge divisions in the hearts of those that have given their life in support of  building a church of faith not finance. As I meditated this morning on what people have written to me I decided to share a page out of my own faith journey.  I would like to disclaim prior to you reading this that I did not leave church I just left the Country Club aspect of church. I love church and the good that it does in communities around the world.

In life we all make decisions we are not proud of. At the time for whatever reason they seem the right or fun thing to do. Whether good or bad every decision and action we take sets into motion a series of other actions that either continue the pattern or breaks it. My life, like yours, is that series of decisions and actions. Some I hope have been good while others have certainly been not so good.

Then there are those decisions others make that have a direct impact on our lives. Maybe the decision someone else made on our behalf was correct or maybe it was a decision that simply caught us up in the series of actions afterwards. Regardless life has consequences some within our control and some not.
Recently as I struggle to find faith and spiritual ground that is solid to stand on,  I reflect back and see that what I had built was on sand to start with. The only reason I shine light on this now is because of all the letters and emails people have sent me about their own faith journeys. Thinking mine was different I quickly realized it wasn't.

I can look back over the years and clearly see that belonging to a church country club isolates more people than it invites. The sad thing for me is that I was part of the country club on the inside looking out. Inside the country club were smaller groups, some of which I belonged, that created even greater exclusivity. The clubs and groups were seemingly well intentioned and for the record some truly were.

A church country club just like a social country club has a tendency to protect itself  before protecting those that are in it. As my membership expired in the church country club and I found myself on the outside looking in, the picture became so much clearer. Jesus revealed to me over a period of weeks that people do bad things to each other. I am and have been one of those people. It has always been my hope that my actions lead people to a better place, however in hindsight I am confident that has not always been the case. Jesus in his revelation has shown me that in order to find the peace and love of which I desire the need to get out of the club had to come first. Right, wrong, good, or bad, the actions leading up to my departure from the club again looking back were perfect. I can now see how I impacted others by my selfish behavior and I can see how others act in their effort to keep the club free of debris. The members inside a church country club have great difficulty seeing or accepting that they were once on the outside looking in.

My actions nor the others in these clubs are anything at all like Jesus would want to see today. If Jesus were to walk into your Church this morning would he recognize what they portray him to be like? Is the Jesus being preached on the altar some man made alter ego of the one true Christ that came to give us salvation? Jesus in his short ministry on earth worked hard to lead by example. Are we doing the same thing or is our example something selfish and condemning to others?

In churches today you hear reference to several things yet very little of it is teaching us how to walk the walk. Now that I am out of the country club I want to help others find the Christ they so desperately seek. I am obviously writing to those that are in search of, those that have written to me that they are lost and seeking. This is not intended at all to jade people from the church community they belong to. The only advice I would have for those happily involved in a loving church is please stay humble and stay in love with the people you serve. Bad choices will be made, you will be disappointed, wrong words will be preached or spoken, and things you see and hear you will not always agree with. You may be the one creating division in your church and you not even know it. Always consider that you could be the source of the problem as you so generously lash out your opinions in the name of Christ. Regardless bad actions do not mean it is coming from bad people. Christ came to lift up the so called bad people and in many cases promote them to be his best crusaders. Do not be on the bandwagon that pushes people to the pits of hell, instead help elevate them to be warriors of the true loving Christ. It is so easy to get caught up in the fight for justice, however consider what you are really fighting for. Is it for some personal revenge or are you making some excuse for your own spiritual weakness? Whatever the case may be simply look in the mirror and if you do not see the loving face of Christ ready and willing to bring people back then you yourself have work to do
.
My journey has been an emotional roller coaster. I have always hoped and prayed that  I leave people better than I found them. I know that is not and will not always be the case. I can say this though it is my goal to never be a card carrying member of a Christian Country Club again, it is however my goal to attend church and seek out the living Christ that lived, died, and was resurrected for our hope and salvation.

In closing i want to say to those that need to hear this, never give up on your personal faith journey. The road will be rocky and at times seem impassable. Continue to do good even in the face of evil. Seek out and be part of the peace and love that is sure to capture the hearts of many.

I hope to be forgiven for those I steered in wrong directions and I will spend a lifetime trying to reconcile the wrongs I have committed. Now that I am outside the walls I can walk the walk. I can dine with sinners instead of the saints. I can make a difference now and so can you.

Be part of the movement and spread a good word or deed that includes hope, faith, and love.

peace to you
Dale


Comments

Popular Posts