Pain


Sometimes I sit back and wonder where all the emotional pain comes from. It just seems like everyone is hurting in some way other than physical. Maybe life was meant to be this way but there is something inside that says it isn’t.
I spoke to a gentleman a few days ago that had spent years roaming the streets of life in a lonely abyss. As the conversation went on we started talking about all of the luxuries we have at our beck and call. Mankind has come so far, he said. We live better than the kings and queens of the past did. Fresh food from all over the world is readily available. We can travel across the world in only a matter of hours. Hot and cold water piped right into our homes. Climate controlled environment. Yet, so many like me are still hurting, still searching to fill that empty place that ONLY God can fill. It makes no sense to me he said why life has to be so complicated.

What a powerful conversation. So as it turned out his search was for the presence of God in his life which by the way is one of the toughest searches a person will ever face. He went on to tell me about the homegrown fly by the seat of your pants faith that so many people seem to have. His experience was that people have solid faith one day, they love the church they attend and next thing you know they are down and out and searching for another church because the preacher, song director, or another member has made them mad. That faith seems so shallow, so why would I want to have that they think they have.

I finally chimed in after listening for about an hour. I certainly was not there to offer advice because I learned and gain so much by using my two ears and one mouth accordingly. I did however want to share that the development of faith and spirituality is a personal journey. It is great to learn from others but at the end of the day it is your relationship and belief that will guide you in whatever direction you chose. 

That led to yet another conversation. His next question was, “so, ok, I get that, but what about all those people that I am learning from that say one thing and do another? You know the one's that tell a dirty joke one minute and profess their faith in Christ the next. That seems a bit confusing to people that are soul searching.” You see, he said, when people are down and seeking God the only exposure they have are the people they come in contact with. Unfortunately when you are down the people around you are down too. I do not know much but I do recall a quote by Mother Teresa that said "in today's society it is so popular to talk about the poor and hurting but it is not very popular to talk to them". Needless to say he had my attention yet again.

I am not sure if I was the one giving the lesson or he was. I know that I walked away feeling like God had just spoke directly to me. I can't speak for you but I know for me I have some soul cleaning to do. I never want to be a negative influence on those searching but I can see where I am. I do realize that our actions may be the only bible some people ever read. I hope that last statement I just made makes sense. People see in us the faith and spirituality they are trying to develop. We have more influence on people by our behavior than you can imagine.
I guess when all was said and done and I reflected back on my time with the gentleman and the only thing that keeps coming to mind is God sends us angels in strange ways. I think that day at that moment I needed a pick me up and that is exactly what I got. Never turn your back on a stranger because you never know the lessons God may be trying to teach you.

Peace to you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts