Walking in the rain

Have you ever been on a nice walk and it starts to rain? If it is nice slow raindrops the feeling is almost to awesome to describe. To me there is so much peace by being out in the wonderful creation and experiencing the joy of nature.

So many songs have been written about walking in the rain. I am fairly sure I will not write a song today but I would like to share some thoughts. Last week I did in fact go walking and it started to rain. I can't say why but interesting thoughts crept into my mind as the raindrops kept falling on my head. I thought of a place long ago, a safe place, that only I knew about. Granted that place was a mental fantasy that I went to while laying in bed but never the less it was my place. The memories of going there came rushing back as the rain came pouring down. Not sure why this nice cool walk brought back that simple thought from a time that no longer exist.

As I walked I have to admit the sprinkles felt good. They seemed to wash away the stress and struggles of the week and the pain of what I thought tomorrow would bring. Not sure why I chose to walk at that time I suppose it could be one of those God winks.

The highlight of this peaceful wet journey was when my little brain drifted into the land of the suffering. I started thinking about some of the great books I had read about miraculous recoveries, heaven encounters, grace bestowed, agape love, and a host of other topics that seemed to rush at me with each drop rolling into my eyes. Each book, each thought brought me back to a memory of someone's pain or a chapter in my life that I refused to revisit.

The amazing thing about this is that each thought or memory was not one of discomfort or sadness, it was almost as if God was saying "you are ready, the lessons have been learned, take the leap of faith" and let me wash away the fear. I recall smiling as this thought permeated my drenched mind. I was thinking that yes my life experiences have written the chapters in the book but for some reason as we all do I struggled to pick up where God left off. As silly as this thought was it occurred to me that God needed to push me out of the nest just as we encourage our kids to fly the coup.  Certainly we always love and support our kids and I was feeling that same thing from God as I walked in the midst of the moist air.

I finally ended that brief damp journey but when I walked in the door I felt cleansed as God had showered me with the baptismal water of life. The rain is nature and nature comes from God so I experienced God in his most magnificent moment. I know that we all walk to the edge of the cliffs in life but few, including me, have the total faith to take the leap. That places us right back in the middle of life's droughts. I do not know what tomorrow holds but I can say this, a simple walk in the rain with God will for sure impact how I go about my most promising future.

peace to you
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts