It matters to me

The last few weeks I have been writing in response to what people have written to me. I enjoy sharing thoughts about topics and comments that people ask me about. Today however I am going to write from my heart about what is on my mind. No outside influence other than what my brain absorbs and my mind creates.

I constantly think about humanity, feelings, and what leads people to action. Stimulation whether good or bad cause people to act or react in particular ways. Desperation leads to desperate and often manipulative acts. Not because a person is bad but because they are struggling to survive. Lost hope that turns to NO hope is much bigger than the poor choices a person makes. We all know people that make bad choice after bad choice. The interesting thing is that while the bad choice is working and creating excitement people enjoy riding on the coattails of another person edgy living. One the situation goes bad everyone scatters.

Ever wonder why as a society we LOVE to cast opinions about topics on the news, gossip at church or work, political propaganda, etc. As long as we can talk about others we are more than happy to do so. When the talk is about us we tend to get mad and defensive. Interesting contrast I think.

Last night I was in one of my deep thoughts about faith and religion. I got to thinking about the people that Jesus attracted on his journey. If I recall Jesus did not attract the religious of the time because they were afraid of who he was or who he might be. The self righteous oh so holy were not the people that migrated toward Jesus. Matter of fact they were the ones trying to kill him. Hang on to that thought for a moment.

In the Gospels we repeatedly see Jesus helping, healing, and forgiving the people we would call heathens the NON religious. These were the people with lost hope, the cast out, the downtrodden. These were people that society set aside because they were evil or punished for the sins of their parents. The religious tried to kill Jesus while the heathens sought his love.

Let me ask you a question please. Do you, your churches, your communities, or friends and family lift up Jesus by helping others that are down and out? OR do you kill the love of Jesus by focusing on religion that elevates you to a place on the ladder above everyone else.

I always talk about peace, love, and forgiveness. I try not to speak about the bad people have done because we all have done it. I do not comment about whether this sin is worse than that sin. We all sin, we always will. The best we can do is strive everyday to make our lives better as well as those around us. That does not take being religious it takes being filled with love. Spread the good news and yes there is plenty of good to spread.

For the record being a faithful person that attends church is a GREAT thing. I use the analogy of religious based on the way they were while Jesus was on the earth. Religion in and of it self is not bad. Religion that promotes faith, love, and forgiveness is wonderful. BUT religious people that set themselves apart from the rest are not much different than the ones that tried to kill Jesus. They killed him in the flesh and now days people kill his love with their actions.

The model of Christ was simple in my mind. Love pure and simple. It is impossible to love if you carry judgmental anger. Hate divides love unites. The smallest of acts often overlooked can promote love or hate. A smirk instead of a smile, ignoring instead of engaging, telling someone you have no time for them yet you have plenty of time to shop, socialize, or showoff.

Let me close with this story I shared at a funeral not to long ago. Remember please that every life counts and every person matters.

The Starfish StoryOriginal Story by: Loren Eisley



One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. 
Approaching the boy, he asked, What are you doing?
The youth replied, Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out.  If I don't throw them back, they'll die.
Son, the man said, don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can't make a
 difference!
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf.  Then, smiling at the
 man, he said
I made a difference for that one.

Comments

Popular Posts