The Truth and The Way

My faith journey has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. I recall as a child my parents taking us to the old local church my dad's parents went too. Beings that they lived a few miles out of town we did not make that quest every weekend. Even though I was young I still recall the preacher working up a sweat, loosening up his tie, taking his jacket off, and waving his Bible in the air as the decibels in his voice increased with every verse. I admit he scared me, heck all I knew was that church was not a fun nice place to be. I have to say though those preachers had passion.

Fast forward a few years to my teenage exploits, which was a time that attending church basically did not happen. My faith was developed by my experiences and honestly I believe that they were honed finer during this time than they were during the hell, fire, and brimstone days of old. During this time in my life the road was tough and filled with danger and uncertainty. By the grace of God I met people that had struggles that made mine pale in comparison. Walking the streets, seeing the drugs, violence, and hopelessness I knew that God was giving me the wisdom of the ages. I realized almost immediately that every person of whom I came in contact knew something about life that I did not know. I was humbled also by the fact that these same people gave me life lessons of love that would follow me forever.

As the years passed by my faith evolution was as varied as the snowflakes in a winter storm. I tried it all, did it all but still never found what all the buzz was about. Finally as fate would have it I was able to enter into a faith institution that truly felt warm and welcoming. I used all my years of faith and spiritual development to hopefully make sure that this time I got it right. If you know me at all you know that I am a firm believer in free will and that God does not direct our paths. I believe that God through the Holy Spirit infuses wisdom in our hearts and minds that if properly utilized could bring a well of peace and love into our lives. With that being said my new found spiritual journey left me blind to some areas of my life that had deep meaning. I moved into the Country Club and out of the neighborhood. I saw life through rose colored glasses forgetting all the lessons I learned from being a member of the cast out christian society.

Life was moving along in a safe methodical direction. Few risk, fewer rewards, but none the less my spiritual road map was being forged by outside influences masking itself, as most institutions do, as THE TRUTH AND THE WAY. Through many actions of my own that life unraveled at warp speed. My beliefs were turned upside down as was my faith as one by one, the one's without sin walked out of my life and back into the hallowed halls of The Country Club. For a few days bitterness ruled my heart but almost in an instant I began to remember the God winks, the life lessons, the faith building blocks, the amazing people that society had cast out, yet God had a higher purpose for. . I remembered that God needed me where I was not where I thought I needed to be.

As in the book The Greatest Miracle in the World, I have often labeled myself a ragpicker. I love to share kindness and compassion to everyone, not just those others deem worthy. I love to help people find their spiritual roots so as to gain faith in humanity again. I love being street wise and Country Club dumb. After years of exploration it became clear to me that God is not just in churches, God is in every human on earth. My heart once again became filled with love, a love that this time would never wane. A love so deep that when bad things happen to so called good people I see the human side not the judgment side. I now know with amazing clarity that we are joined together in the one body that makes up our universe. We are one with each other and one with God. Even though our beliefs are formed from environmental differences at our core we still have a conviction of love.

I share this not as bad news but as good news. In hindsight my whole journey made me who I am. Every moment, every person, every sermon, every book, created in me the person I have become. I love the journey thus far and pray that it will continue to nurture my heart, mind, and soul in ways that magnify our God. I believe in living life, forgiving everyone, finding hope where others see hopelessness, being welcoming where others cast judgment, and finding friends where others see enemies. Just like many years ago I now know that every person I come in contact has something of value to teach me. If I can keep my heart filled with love I can receive the gift that others share simply by me accepting them for who they are.

peace and love
Dale

Comments

your friend in Christ, George said…
Ohhhhhh what a wonderful journey it's started out to be for me! I pray our paths cross often my friend! Be well well and The peace of The Lord be with you Dale!

Popular Posts