Altruism

I think there is that person inside each of us that would like to be described as altruistic. Simply put we would like to be able to help others with selfless humility. This week as my mind journeyed with highs and lows I somehow always find myself right back where I started, and that is the insatiable desire to passionately help people become the best they can be.

I often write my blogs about faith, spirituality, or religion, each time trying to intertwine a thought process to where the reader begins to realize just how powerful a change of thought can be. You see it is imperative that we never allow anyone's negative opinion of us to become our reality, yet that is exactly what happens time and time again. There is no question in my mind that the most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire but lighting the fire is one of the most difficult.

That brings me to one of my favorite quotes by Mother Teresa when she says, "it is popular to talk about people but not so popular to talk too people". I think that sums up the attitude we face in this age of technology and social media. Instead of promoting what we love we bash what we hate. In the end as we work on our altruism we quickly find that effort doesn't matter when love is left behind.

We are spiritual beings seeking a place to display our love yet we live in a world that is fixated on hate. We seldom see news of altruism yet we are inundated with headlines about tragedy. That goes against the spirituality that God placed in his from birth. As one of the greatest miracles the world has ever seen we must realize that we were born to make a difference and it is incumbent upon us to embrace every opportunity to do that.

I hope at what ever stage of life you find yourself that you now know that money and material possessions do not buy long term happiness.  Matter of fact happiness more times than not comes when you measure your wealth in things that money can't but, hence our God given altruistic nature. If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how different our ideals of beauty would be.

May you find peace and happiness in your day
Dale Childress

Comments

Popular Posts