Cindy


1
It was a hot morning that mid August day. The walk to the 7 Eleven was only two blocks so the warmth in the air was more refreshing than it was uncomfortable. My goal was to equip myself with a cool cola Slurpee that would guarantee my day was off to a nice beginning. I had exactly $1.40 in my pocket, which was more than enough to accomplish the task I was facing.

It was a busy morning as business people were getting their morning pick me ups for the trek into work. I made my way around the chips and sweets then tried to squeeze past a heavy set gentleman that seemed as though he was guarding the tobacco products, not that I wanted any. I glanced at options and quickly decided my best move would be to turn around and go toward the magazine rack on the back wall, then I would have better access to the clerk that was dispensing the frozen slice of bliss. 

As if God directed my motions, I turned the corner at the back of the store to make my way up the aisle of periodicals. I must have been looking down because I bumped right into her. For a moment, as our eyes made contact, I thought I recognized her. At the second glance I was reassured that we had never met. Never the less there we were two 14 year old's wondering aimlessly in a 7 Eleven with the hope of getting something to quince our thirst and hunger.

Very few people understand the power and love of those without. We live in a society so consumed with wealth and materialism that we have lost sight of those that truly struggle. The ironic thing though is that the ones that struggle have much bigger hearts than the ones that have it all. Or that was the experience I had anyway.

I will never forget that morning nearly 40 years ago in sunny northern CA. I was in a place I didn't want to be yet trying hard to develop coping skills that would use this time in life as a stepping stone to much brighter period in life. I never saw it as an albatross or even an obstacle I could not get around. It was a time in life that helped me develop my love for people in ways few understand. The people we view as poor are usually rich in spirit. Not a richness that has it's roots in religion, it is a natural wealth that is inherent in us from birth. It is the true gift of God. At the lowest level of humanity there is no need to judge anyway, the only thing we knew was survival. Real survival does not come from "the strongest will survive" mentality, it comes from a deep understanding that love for self, love for others, and love of God is the one ingredient that will keep our dream alive.

Thank goodness we were both standing there, surrounded by adults that were oblivious to our existence. I offered an apology for bumping into her. I guess that was the lead in to a conversation that was meant to be. I told her I was trying to get up to the counter so I could get my small Slurpee and enjoy my moment of bliss. She told me that she was there to get bread so her mom could make them sandwiches for lunch. I said "oh that sounds good, I hope it is peanut butter, my southern favorite". She smiled, turned and headed toward the door. Noticing she had nothing in her hands as she left, I walked out with her and asked if she had someone with her that got the bread. She replied no, that she was alone. She kept walking away and I kept walking with her. I asked why she didn't get the bread, thinking maybe the store was out. With shame and a tear in her eye, she looked at me and said that she wasn't able to beg for enough money to get it. She was hurt by the people that rudely looked over her, or treated her with such disdain as to make her feel less than human. 

It took years for me to understand that this was a God moment. At the time I was too young to comprehend exactly what was happening. All I knew was that this girls family needed bread and I had enough money to provide it. This time I was begging, I pleaded for her to walk back into the store with me and allow me to purchase the bread. As we walked in, there was a rather well dressed woman standing at the door, she remarked, "I guess you recruited someone else to help you beg for money". I felt her heart sank and believe me mine was pounding with pain too. 

We got the bread and my new friend was thankful. As I walked back to our apartment broke, yet fulfilled, it begin to manifest in me just how powerful love truly can be. I didn't have to choose between feeding a family or enjoying a frozen treat, thank goodness God chose that for me. 
A few days later as fate would have it I ran into this girl again. Her name was Cindy and we were attending the same school. She too was a misfit displaced in a land as unfamiliar as it could possibly be. I enjoyed the comfort of our friendship, but most of all I was honored to be in the midst of a person that seemed broke externally yet so rich with love internally.

I will never forget the day my family decided to leave CA, it was a sudden departure, and I never got to say goodbye to my friend Cindy. I look back often at that day 40 years ago. It isn't the adults that I think about it is the love one little girl had for her family. God was alive and well that day, as he is everyday. It is just up to us to see the lessons in our simple everyday encounters. Love truly can heal the deepest wounds. It may us that needs healing or it may be others, regardless the first act of love starts with us.

peace and love
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts