Fear Stops Life

It is true, fear does not stop death, it stops life. There is a quote I use frequently that says "everything you want in life is on the other side of fear". Some may view that quote as to simplistic, however I view it as eye opening and a call to action.

Obviously there are some things we should fear and I hope those are obvious, but there are other things organic and environmental that we simply must overcome. The fear that you are NOT good enough, you do not have enough, or that your life doesn't matter. That is fear at it's worse.

I recall several years ago trying to talk my son into going skydiving. I will admit I was scared to death and it was my hope that he would say NO and I would never have to face that fear. To my surprise though he trusted me and said "let's do it". I will never forget when that plane got to 14,600 feet and the pilot said "all out". My instructor literally had to push us out of the plane. My fear turned to amazing exhilaration. To say that I faced my fear would be an understatement. My mind was racing at warp speed, what if the parachute didn't open. You see the what if's in life paralyze us so much more than the "let's do it". In the end the feeling of sky diving was liberating beyond words. I loved it and felt as if I could do anything.

Okay let's get real here. Fear does in fact stop life. In this age of instant gratification we constantly seek solutions to problems that DO NOT EXIST. I will not go into detail because to do so would distract us from the message. Let's just say it is the goal of the media to instill fear into us at every juncture of life. Which begs the question, which race are you in? The race to win by facing your fear or the race to find a place to escape until this life passes you by? Give serious thought to that question.

Most people have so much fear that it becomes an albatross that holds them back. We fear changing careers, questioning our faith, making investments, taking risk, engaging in uncomfortable discussions, etc. We fear anything that moves us out of our comfort zones. The problem though is that we cannot and will not grow in our comfort zones. It is fear that locks us in and the longer we wait the bigger the walls become.

What is your fear? I hope you will pause a few seconds and give this some deep thought. Over the years in this blog I have stared down difficult topics that others fear to discuss. Together we have torn down walls, built bridges, forgiven ourselves, acknowledged who we are, questioned our faith, come to terms with ourselves, and figured out how to love again. The one element that can bring this all to fruition is having the courage to face our fears. God didn't bring you this far to leave you, however the next step is up to you. I made the jump at 14,600 and my life has opened up in ways I can't describe in this short amount of space. There is no doubt in my mind that God has given you everything you need to step out of something binding and into something liberating. It is time to cut loose the things that weigh you down. Your life matters and it is time you believe it.

God bless
Dale

Comments

Popular Posts